MONDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2011
Types of Auto Insurance Discounts
There are very few people on the planet who aren’t interested in getting a bargain, and that goes for insurance shoppers as well as other types of bargain hunters. Since we are a Trust Choice Independent Agent, we do the shopping for you. We represent multiple companies including Hartford, Travelers, Mercury, Hanover, Progressive and Safeco. If you are ready to shop around for auto insurance, there are a few discount opportunities you should be aware of.
- Multi-policy discounts: The multi-policy discounts can work a few ways. First, if you have multiple cars and people to insure with a single insurance company, you may be able to get a discount when you do. Second, if you have a home and an automobile, or an automobile and a recreational vehicle to insure and you do so with one company, you may be eligible for discounts.
- Safe driving courses: Being a safe driver is important to you and your family because it limits your risk of accident—but it’s also important to your insurance company for the same reason. When you take a safe driving course you not only show your insurance company that you are serious about being a safe driver, but you also gain the skills that allow you to actually become one. This reduces the amount of claims you are likely to have and makes you a less expensive risk for auto insurance companies. How do they reward you? With a discount.
- Good student discounts: Insurance companies love to reward good behavior—because those clients who behave in that manner generally present less risk from an insurer’s perspective. High school students with good grades may find that their auto insurance company offers small discounts when they keep their GPA above a certain level.
- Paid-in-full discounts: Insurance policy premiums can be paid monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and annually. Because insurance companies can earn more money on an annual premium paid-in-full at the start of the term, they often offer financial incentives for you to do so.
- EFT discounts: The transfer of your insurance premiums directly from your bank account to your insurance company isn’t just an easy way to get your insurance policy paid, it’s a cost-effective way. You will have one less check to write each month, one less stamp to buy, and your insurance company may offer you a discount for doing so.
- Home Ownership: Because you own your home, the insurance companies will give you a better price.
- Level of Education: Some companies will give a discount based on your level of education or occupation.
- Higher Limits of Liability: Sometimes you can have more coverage for less money. Ask about higher limits and see what happens to your premium.
- Multiple Car Discounts: If you have more car, make sure you include them on the same policy.
- Multiple Policy Discount: Try to get your home and autos with the same company. It could save you up to 15% on both your home and auto.
When talking to ECI Agency about insurance policy options, make sure to discuss all of the relevant discount opportunities. Ask Amanda or Ruth if they know of any other discounts that you may be able to take advantage of—after all, any discount is a good discount.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only.
It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional
in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between
you and the blog and website publisher.